Ottawa-Carleton Branch News
Welcome to the Ottawa-Carleton Branch of RWTO/OERO! We are a Branch of about 120 members who enjoy the caring and sharing aspects of the organization, and having fun at the same time. We welcome all retired women teachers from anywhere and any level of education to come and join us.
If you have recently retired, relocated to the Ottawa area, or just found out about RWTO, and would like more information about us and how to become a member, please contact our Branch President, Kathy McLean at firstname.lastname@example.org. You are welcome to attend one of our luncheons on a “trial basis” to see if our Branch is one you would like to join.
The Branch has a variety of activities throughout the year – luncheons at various venues with opportunities to mix and mingle, followed by speakers or entertainment, group visits to area attractions, get-togethers at members’ homes or cottages, and our Annual General Meeting in May. Some of our members participate in our special interest groups, a book club and movie club. The RWTO/OERO motto, “Caring and Sharing”, is an important part of our programming, both within the membership and reaching out to the community. A variety of “FUNdraising” activities are held at our gatherings to support these programs.
Our recent newsletters are posted in the Newsletters section. Have a look and check out what we have been doing. The first activity for the 2016-2017 year is a Fall Luncheon, to be held on September 21, to celebrate the new “no-school” year. If you would like to join us, contact Kathy.
Highlights from last year’s super activities included:
- September Fall Luncheon to welcome everyone back from summer vacations
- trip to the National Gallery of Canada in November
- a visit from our Provincial President
- Christmas Luncheon featuring the singing talents of “The Ladies of the Day”
- tour of Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO)
- visit to an area sugar bush with delicious maple products for lunch
- fabulous Gala to celebrate RWTO’s 60th Anniversary year, with our members who are 80 years and over as our special guests (22 of the 40 were able to attend!!)
- presentation of donations to many local charities
- potluck picnic at a long-time member’s cottage
- sending of over 150 special “caring cards” to members, including birthday and Christmas cards to our over-80-year-old members, invitations to these ladies for our Gala, get well, sympathy and thinking of you cards
We are looking forward to many more fun and sharing activities in the coming year. Watch for the September newsletter for details. Do come and enjoy them with us!!